Quinoa Fried "Rice"
I am ADDICTED to any Asian food, especially fried rice. Recently I found out about quinoa and how yummy it actually is! So I decided to replace the rice in fried rice with quinoa to make a healthier alternative. Try and make this scrumptious dish, you will be very surprised how much it tastes like the real thing!
Tip: if you want to make it look more like fried rice use white quinoa (I only used red because that was all I had).
- 1 cup quinoa (red or white)
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water but I prefer chicken stock)
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped (or 2 normal ones)
- ¼ of a diced onion
- 3 spring onions chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 (small) minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 eggs (raw and scrabbled)
- ½ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- (sesame seeds are optional to garnish)
- Rinse quinoa with water in a sieve
- Bring quinoa and chicken stock (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan, and then reduce to a low heat
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is fluffy and there is no more liquid remaining. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork
- Mix teriyaki, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over a medium to high heat. Add the onion and carrot, cook for a few minutes (turn down if you think they are burning). Add the spring onions, garlic and fresh ginger to the pan. Cook another couple of minutes and then add the quinoa. Stir fry for another couple of minutes to incorporate. Add sauce and stir-fry until incorporated. Make a well in the center of the quinoa pour eggs in, scramble (do not stir right away). Add peas and cook for another couple of minutes and serve!