Chai Chocolate Chip Muffins
I drink tea all day everyday. I probably wouldn't be able to survive without it! I have seen recipes online and in Nigella Lawson's new cookbook Simply Nigella for chai muffins, and I had to try and make my own version of them with chocolate chips (because I'm a chocoholic)! You have to make these easy, healthy-ish, scrumptious muffins, especially if you are in my situation! Right now where I live it is currently -23 degrees so I plan cozying up, sitting by the fire and eating one (or two) of these muffins with a cup of tea.
Makes About 12 Muffins
- 1 Cup of unsweetened, organic almond milk
- 2 Chai tea bags ( I use the Tazo ones)
- 1 and a half Teaspoons of group cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups of spelt (or all purpose) flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 a cup of almond slivers
- 2 Large eggs
- 2/3 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 a cup to 1 cup of of semi sweet or dark chocolate chips (really depends on how many you want in your muffins)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit and line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Heat almond milk with the tea inside the teabags (rip the tea bags open) and cinnamon in a pot on medium heat then leave to cool.
- In a large bowl add flour, brown sugar (mash before you put in if clumpy), almonds and baking powder and combine.
- When the milk has cooled down completely add the eggs and oil then whisk together.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ones and mix together
- Put mixture in muffin cases (I did it with an ice cream scoop because it is the perfect size).
- Put into the oven for about 18-20 mins and enjoy (they are great cut in half with butter and warmed up in the microwave if you do not eat them right away)!