Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffin Tops
Fact: muffins are the best. Another fact: muffin tops are certainly better than the bottom of the muffin. When I was small I used to take the bottom of the muffin (and still do to this day). When I was watching the series Gilmore Girls a couple weeks ago one of the supporting charactors, who is a chef and is named Sookie, made muffin tops for Lorelai because of how much more superior they are in comparison to the bottoms of muffins. This epsiode gave me an idea to make muffin tops myself! I hope you enjoy this healthy twist on the apple cinnamon muffin!
- 1 cup of course oats
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 a teaspoon of sea salt (or table salt)
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 a cup of agave syrup
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of diced apple
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Melt coconut oil and leave to cool (this is important so the egg does not cook)
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the coconut oil, egg, agave syrup, and vanilla extract
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and then add in the apple.
- Spoon the mixture onto the baking sheet (about 1 inch apart) as you would with cookies.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (or until golden brown)
- Leave to cool